Other heart problems can also lead to cardiac arrest
The following problems may lead to cardiac arrest:
What causes cardiac arrest?
Cardiac arrest is caused by one of the following problems with the heart's electrical system:
- Ventricular fibrillation (VF). When VF occurs, the lower chambers in the heart quiver instead of beating regularly. The heart cannot pump blood, which results in cardiac arrest. This can happen without any cause or as a result of another condition.
- Heart block. This occurs when the electrical signal is slowed or stopped as it moves through the heart.
Heart attack cannot cause cardiac arrest
Sometimes a heart attack can cause a cardiac arrest.
What symptoms occur when cardiac arrest happens?
Most people don’t experience any symptoms of cardiac arrest until it happens.The following are common symptoms when cardiac arrest happens:
- Sudden loss of consciousness (a person falls to the floor or slumps down if sitting)
- No pulse
- No breathing
Emergency treatment for cardiac arrest includes……
Cardiac arrest is an emergency, which needs to be treated right away. The following treatment is given to get the heart started again:
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR). This is often the first type of treatment for cardiac arrest. It can be done by anyone who has been trained in CPR. It can help keep oxygen flowing in the body until emergency care arrives.
- Defibrillation. This is the most important treatment for cardiac arrest. It is performed using a medical device that gives an electrical shock to the heart. The shock can get the heart beating normally again. This treatment works best when given within a few minutes.
Cardiac arrest can kill a person
Cardiac arrest is a medical emergency. If it is not treated within a few minutes, cardiac arrest most often causes death. Most people don’t survive cardiac arrest. If a person have had a cardiac arrest and survived, he/she is at high risk for having another one.
Which of the following is not a health problem that occurs due to a cardiac arrest?
Cardiac arrest can cause the following health problems:
- Brain injury
- Heart problems
- Lung conditions
Sometimes, there are symptoms before a cardiac arrest
Most people don’t experience any symptoms of cardiac arrest until it happens.Sometimes, some of the following symptoms appear about an hour before cardiac arrest:
- A racing heart
- Chest pain
- Shortness of breath
- Nausea or vomiting
Cardiac Arrest happens when _________
A cardiac arrest happens when the heart suddenly stops beating. When this happens, blood flow to the brain and the rest of the body also stops. Cardiac arrest is a medical emergency.
What is the treatment if a person survives cardiac arrest?
If a person survives cardiac arrest, he/she will be admitted to a hospital for treatment. The doctor may treat the person with certain medicines, procedures, or surgery depending on what caused the cardiac arrest. The doctor may also place an implantable cardioverter-defibrillator (ICD) under your skin near your chest. This device monitors the heartbeat and gives the heart an electric shock if it detects an abnormal heart rhythm.
Please share this quiz to view your results.